Accident Reporting & Claims - Property (U. owned)
Notify Risk Management as soon as possible of
property damage or loss.
NOTE: RISK MANAGEMENT IS NOT PART OF THE INITIAL EMERGENCY RESPONSE PROTOCOL.
- Provide details of the loss and any cost
projections that may be evident.
- Preserve any physical evidence that is allegedly connected with an injury or
potential claim until otherwise directed by Risk Management. Example: Water damage from a ruptured pipe...save the pipe!
- Take photos, whenever possible, to preserve
- Notification should include:
- Date/time of loss incident,
- Brief description of loss cause & affected areas,
- Whether University owned or responsible,
- What initial mitigation efforts were employed,
- Police report reference number, and
- Estimated cost of damages.
- Provide monthly (or as requested) cost to date information.
- If at any time anyone estimates combined costs may
exceed $100K, Risk Management should be notified immediately.
Risk Management will report claims as appropriate to our property insurer.
- Timely reporting of a claim is essential to meet the University’s obligations as
a policyholder and to ensure that the appropriate departments are reimbursed.
- Business or Service Interruption claims are subject to applicable waiting
- Large loss events may require site visits by field adjusters and others.
Risk Management will contact the appropriate department to coordinate as needed.